Monday, December 7, 2009
Marriage is a human right. (period)
The New Jersey State Legislature is currently in the hot seat of the same-sex marriage debate, and the venue for the hotly debated topic is today’s Senate Judiciary Committee meeting.
There is a sense of urgency among same-sex marriage advocates because the clock is ticking on ousted Gov. Jon Corzine’s tenure as chief executive. Corzine has said he will sign the bill if it gets to his desk before he leaves office.
Gov. elect-Christopher Christie, who takes office in mid-January, has said he would veto the measure.
If the same-sex marriage bill moves out of committee on an affirmative vote today, the full Senate could vote on the measure as early as Thursday. But the Assembly has yet to act on the measure that would need the approval of both houses before being placed on the ousted governor’s desk.
If New Jersey were to approve a same-sex marriage provision it would become the sixth state in the union to do so behind Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts and Vermont. New Hampshire becomes the fifth state when its same-sex law takes effect on January 1, 2010.
The Maine state legislature approved a same-sex marriage law, but voters repealed that law by a slim margin last month. And the California Supreme Court gave its approve of same-sex marriage in the Golden State only to have voters knock it down by a 52-percent to 48-percent margin last year.
Last week, the New York State Senate rejected by a 38 to 24 vote margin an attempt to allow same-sex marriage in the ultra-liberal Empire State.
Now the ultra-liberal state legislature in the great Garden State of New Jersey is weighing in on the issue, but it's in a rush to come to a decision on the matter before the baton is handed over to a new governor with a different opinion about the issue.
So let’s get some perspective here, but in the form of a question: If heterosexuals don’t need a bill to get married why do homosexuals need one?
That’s right… there appears to be no law on the books in New Jersey to permit heterosexual marriage, therefore no bill was ever presented to give men and women the ability to marry, so why do two men or two women need a law to do the same thing? Do we really believe straight couples have a monopoly on love and relationships?
All marriage is is a formal declaration of a couple’s love and commitment to each other.
New Jersey law spells out a man or woman cannot marry his/her sister/brother, aunt/uncle, mother/father, half-sister/half-brother, nieces/nephews, or all-encompassing ancestors or descendants or others whether such collateral kindred be of the whole or half blood.
What no mention of the dog or cat? What’s up with that New Jersey?
I can’t marry my fourteenth cousin 16 times removed, but I can consider the family pet?
New Jersey actually has a law banning bestiality -- banning someone from having sexual relations with an animal -- but marriage is not mentioned. Strange.
I’m sure this will be addressed shortly. You know they will be looking to right a wrong.
Let’s get some perspective here.
I’ve been married twice – yeah -- wow –my ex-wives and I have a real sense of commitment as heterosexual females and a heterosexual male.
Are we afraid homosexuals will show us up?
Are we scared their divorce rate would actually be lower than straight couples?
As I wrote her last week, I think gay couples have the right to be as miserable as I was when I was married, and they should be able to enjoy the rape, pillage and plunder doled out by a divorce lawyer.
Let’s get some perspective here.
Better yet, let’s just get over ourselves – our self-righteous bigoted selves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
the law states that no one entity have monopoly over anything. Andrew Carnegie had a monopoly on steel and so on and so forth. Why should the heterosexuals (legally) be allowed to have a monopoly over marriage? It's technically unlawful from where I'm standing.
And a big thank you needs to go out to Jon Corzine -- he actually will do something that is beneficial to this state. That is, if the senate and assembly decide to do the same. Likeliness of that? I would hope that this bill will be passed, but I think I may be too optimistic.
ur cake has two guys on it.
don't lessies have right too?
can you have ....
oh who cares wasting even humor on this "issue" is too much the waste of thyme; cyber & real.
Post a Comment